Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Niagara-on-the-Lake

For Memorial Day weekend, B and I went to Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario. If you haven't heard of it, which I hadn't before we went, it's about 30 minutes north of Niagara Falls. And it's gorgeous.

There are wineries and vineyards everywhere.







We couldn't have asked for better weather for the weekend! Look at those blue skies!

During the month of May, the wineries in the area participate in the Wine and Herb Festival. A ticket to the festival allows you to sample one wine at each of the 22 wineries. In addition to the wine, each winery selects an herb that they must feature in a food pairing to match the wine.

The food pairings were delicious. We had steamed asparagus with a cilantro pesto, pulled pork sammiches with bbq sauce, a spicy gazpacho, grilled shrimp over spanish rice.. and the list goes on. MMMM..

The wine was really tasty as well. I love wine, but I'm not exactly a wine snob. After awhile they all started to taste the same. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I definitely can't tell you whether the wine has been aged in oak barrels versus stainless steel with oak chips, or if it has the flavor of dark berries and smells like plums. That didn't dissuade B and I from buying 6 bottles! Wahoo!



We stayed in a cute little cottage while we were there. I think it was built in 1890 or something crazy like that. It says it on the sign, but I'm too lazy to see if I can decipher it.



Ahh.. I wish I could go back. So relaxing. Speaking of relaxing.. I should probably get to bed. It's almost 2:30am, yikes!

ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Almost forgot the obligatory cat photo.. this cat was soaking up the sunshine outside of one of the wineries. Of course I had to go pet it and see if it was friendly. It was not and my scratches are healing up nicely, hah! Cute, though!



And, goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment